Sunday, February 5, 2012

My Version of Chocolate Wasted Cake

A couple of weeks ago, I stumbled upon a chocolate cake recipe that looked amazing!  It was on my favorite website (and newest addiction) Pinterest, and I knew right then that I had to make this cake for the Superbowl party we were going to. 

As I was reading the recipe, which you can find here, I thought...hmmm, I bet I can do this a little easier.  Not that I'm against homemade cakes and homemade frosting, but I have a toddler, a full time job, and meetings usually two nights a week...so, cake mixes and tubs of frosting are definitely my friends!

But, I do have a degree in Family and Consumer Sciences (a.k.a. Home-Ec for all you old-schoolers out there), so I thought I could at least do some improvising with the cake mix.  Here is my version of Chocolate Wasted Cake! 



1 devils food cake mix
4 eggs
1 box chocolate instant pudding mix
1/4 c. oil
1/2 c. water
1/4 butterscotch schnapps (you could use other flavors or just leave it out if you'd like)
1 c. sour cream

Mix all of the ingredients together, and bake in 2, 9-inch round cake pans (greased and floured).  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool completely. 

When cool, level cake and ice with chocolate frosting.  Press milk chocolate chips into the side of the cake (I used Ghirardelli).  Cut up candy bars (I used Hershey milk chocolate, Twix and Snickers), and sprinkle on top.  Also sprinkle some chocolate chips on the top. 

Next, melt 1/2 c. chocolate chips with 1 t. vegetable oil, and drizzle over the top.  Let some of  the chocolate drip down the sides.

Lastly, dip a spoon in butterscotch ice cream topping, and drizzle over the top and down the sides.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment